MoMA Washes Pollock’s Hands:
Jackson Pollock made Number 1A, 1948, at a transformative moment in his career. He had abandoned the easel for the floor. He had started using enamel house paints, which he alternated with artists’ oils. He was on a quest for pure painting, and he began by marking his territory.
So he applied paint to his palms and pressed them on the surface.
Pollock also used his hands to lightly smear color across the painting. He worked some sections with a brush. He dragged pigment directly from a tube to create ribbons of impasto. In between, he dripped and poured paint on the canvas.
Soot, dirt, and had grime covered the painting over the decades, diminishing its powers. Earlier this year, as part of the Bank of America-funded Jackson Pollock Conservation Project, curators embarked on its first major cleaning.
One surprise was how the palm prints popped. They had always been visible in the top right portion of the canvas and various other points throughout. With grime gone, they take a more dominant role, showing how the artist used his own body as a tool to mark his newly horizontal canvases.
“He’s declaring his identity free of language in the most elemental way,” says Ann Temkin, chief curator of MoMA’s department of painting and sculpture.
“He wanted to bring modern art to that same level of essentialism. He’s harking back to a period when humankind was not far past the ape stage.”
Read more at artnews.com.
Jackson Pollock, Number 1A, 1948, 1948, oil and enamel paint on canvas.
All images ©2013 POLLOCK-KRASNER FOUNDATION/ARTISTS RIGHTS SOCIETY (ARS), NEW YORK. IMAGES COURTESY MOMA.
- nexus8e likes this
- imthesleepyhead likes this
- dancingwiththedead reblogged this from perdu-
- dancingwiththedead likes this
- perdu- reblogged this from senseiforscoundrels
- perdu- likes this
- senseiforscoundrels reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- desuanex reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- emmacolesblackwhite reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- idontlikeacid likes this
- mrdoesntdomuch reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- sisyfos likes this
- poeticasvisuais likes this
- tristanleonidas likes this
- pappawheelie likes this
- artfromthefuture reblogged this from antelucanhourglass
- saturdaysdog reblogged this from antelucanhourglass
- theodoreb likes this
- pseuglam reblogged this from antelucanhourglass
- sinkingshits likes this
- oilpainting999 likes this
- antelucanhourglass reblogged this from iy881800
- iy881800 reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- kayleenemilygraham reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- lainylainz reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- zelig5000 likes this
- zelig5000 reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- ver-rare reblogged this from i-lie-awake-in-some-silent-night
- i-lie-awake-in-some-silent-night reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- dianeling likes this
- dianeling reblogged this from johnmyersart
- ybb55 likes this
- oilpaintinggallery likes this
- hswh likes this
- johnmyersart reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- lizboeder likes this
- xoxohernandezalexxoxo reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- cabelenta likes this
- yuichirounoguchi likes this
- omarhernandez17 likes this
- mootpoint likes this
- whoa-the reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- whoa-the likes this
- thecristinamaria reblogged this from letmypeopleshow
- vicariousli likes this
- spoopyalleys likes this
- danielamalachi likes this
- imathers likes this
- linusinhats likes this
- nickminichino reblogged this from letmypeopleshow and added: